MetaTrader 4 Server (Mt4 Server)
MetaTrader 4, also known as MT4, is an electronic trading platform widely used by online retail foreign exchange speculative traders. It was developed by MetaQuotes Software and released in 2005.
The software is licensed to foreign exchange brokers who provide the software to their clients. The software consists of both a client and server component.
The server component is run by the broker and the client software is provided to the brokers customers, which use it to see live streaming prices, charts and to place orders as well as manage their account.
The complete MetaTrader 4 package includes the following components:
• MetaTrader 4 Client Terminal: the client part. Provided free by brokerages for real-time online trading and as Demo (practice trading) accounts. This provides trade operations, charts and technical analysis in real time. The internal C-like programming language allows users to program trading strategies, indicators and signals. 50 basic indicators are included, each of which can be further customized. The software runs on Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista/7. Some users have reported success using Wine on Linux for the client terminal and on Mac using WineBottler.
• MetaTrader 4 Mobile: controls a trading account via mobile devices such as mobile phones or PDAs. Runs on Windows Pocket PC 2002/Mobile 2003. Newly released mobile versions also run on the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
• MetaTrader 4 Server: the core of the system, the server part. Designed to handle user requests to perform trade operations, display and execution of warrants. Also, sends price quotes and news broadcasts, records and maintains archives. Works as a service. Does not have a separate interface.
• MetaTrader 4 Administrator: is designed to remotely manage the server settings.
• MetaTrader 4 Manager: designed to handle trade inquiries and manage customer accounts.
• MetaTrader 4 Data Center: a specialized proxy server and can be an intermediary between the server and client terminals. It reduces the price quote sending load on the main server.